Saturday 30 March 2013

Soap Challenge 2013 - Week 1 - The Tiger Stripe

For the first time I am participating in the Soap Challenge. The Challenge is hosted by Great Cakes Soapworks. Each week will have a new soap making method that all those involved in the challenge will attempt to create. This is week one. Before this year I had heard of the challenge but never really known how to participate, when it was held, ect. It's going to to be a lot of fun to try new methods. I love an excuse to experiment and of course to soap.

Week #1: The Tiger Stripe.

This technique was created by Kenna of Amathia Soapworks. Her results are beautiful and I am hoping that mine are in anyway close as good.

I let my soap get to too thick a trace for my first batch. However, it worked rather well.

Attempt #1 In the mold:




Attempt # 1 Cut:





As it happens, this soap glows in the dark, namely the lighter segments. I'll take a glow in the dark photo in the future when I am more comfortable manhandling the soap.

12 comments:

  1. So pretty! What colours did you use that it is glowing in the dark? Totally cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The colourant is called Nite Glow, a powdered colourant from TKB Trading. Use it at 1 tsp per pound of oil. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! Beautiful colors and stripes. I would also like to know what you put in your soap so it glows in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks! :) The colourant is a powder called NiteGlow from TKB Trading.

      Delete
  3. Robyn, this is a gorgeous soap!
    Love the picture, so original!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natalia! The background components also act at my display for markets.

      Delete
  4. Glow in the dark soap??? How cool is that!! It's a beautiful soap, Robyn! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to see the stripes glow! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soap is just about firm enough that I'm comfortable manhandling it for more photography so I'll take a picture of it glowing in the next couple of days.

      Delete